Flying Home

Well.  Let’s see.  What could possibly go wrong?  We were in high spirits and looking forward to our trip home.  With all honesty though, we were all a bit skittish about flying good old (old being the operative word) Sky King back to Oakland via San Antonio.  But, hey, what the chances that things could get mucked up?

Our bus trip to the airport took about 90 minutes so Ray and I busied ourselves reading all the spanish signs along the road to improve our spanish skills.  When we arrived at the airport, we went to the counter and got our seat assignments.   Then we wandered through the airport.  The Cancun airport is a modern facility with all kinds of shopping and restaurants including Bubba Gump’s Shrimp (or something like that).   Then we heard that the plane was going to be late, maybe.

After much “research” we discovered that the same plane from Oakland that caused us to be 6 or so hours late because the strut was broken from the exciting landing in San Antonio, was broken down in San Antonio again.  Yes, they were  transporting the next golf group from Oakland and had something go wrong.  Now, I’m a bit of white knuckle flier anyway, but this did not sound good.  I mean, the group that was waiting for us in Cancun when we arrived at almost midnight, also had trouble with their plane in San Antonio.  So, obviously the third time was not a charm.  And we were entrusting our lives with this airline on the same plane??  At this point we were contemplating finding another flight (read non-Sky King) to get back.  Then we were informed that Sky King was sending another plane from Miami to Cancun just for us.  Oh, JOY.  So we decided, “what the hell”.

Well, I’m happy to report that we are on the last leg of the trip flying high in the sky literally toward Oakland, having just left San Antonio after filling up.  Only problem is that because the plane left from Florida rather hurriedly, there were no alcoholic beverages on board.  WHAT?  This is shocking.  So what to do?  Well, we took drugs.  Valium relaxed us enough to endure the punishment we were receiving.

So, bottom line…do not ever fly Sky King unless your life lacks a sense of adventure boarding on desperate.  And then, even then, reconsider.

WE MADE IT!!!  Home in one piece.  A postscript.  Having downed 1/2 of an ambien, I was pretty much out of it when we arrived in Oakland.  Ray had to wake me up so that I could bring my seat to it’s upright position.  I wandered in a blur to the carousel to get the bags and then I slept all the way to King City with one exception of wakefulness when we came to a dead stop on the freeway somewhere (Salinas?) because of a bunch of CHP’s racing by (wreck?).  Richard, the driver extraordinaire, backed up and took an off ramp we had just passed that got us off the freeway and around the trouble so that we could ziggy back on the freeway and arrive in King City at about 1:45 a.m.  Yes, that is not a typo.

I woke up just long enough to throw myself into bed after enjoying a brownie and kaluha and milk (read dinner).

Life is good!!!  And the morning is beautiful in Cayucos today, Friday the 28th.

A few more pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

The beach at the resort

Ruth and Tom

Paul and Robin

Moi and mere!!

Richard and Pat (they won $$$$)

Bryan and Michel

Richard and Karen

The Iguana

The enigma!!

And the organizer of the dinners aka the herder of cats.  Taken at Hahn winery near Soledad, CA yesterday.  Well, we needed to do some wine tasting to celebrate our safe arrival back home.  And if that reason doesn’t work, there plenty of others I could come up with!!!

Adios, Amigos!!


Leave Comment